The coverage of CanGeoRef includes journal articles, books, maps, reports and conference proceedings.
Documents in CanGeoRef are primarily related to geology. The following general categories are covered:
- Geochemistry (isotopes, hydrochemistry)
- Geochronology (includes radiometric and relative age determination)
- Petrology (includes igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks)
- Paleontology (includes invertebrates, vertebrates, plants)
- Geologic Maps
- Geophysics (includes geophysical surveys, well-logging, seismology)
- Hydrogeology (includes ground water and hydrologic cycle)
- Environmental Science (includes soil and water pollution, reclamation)
- Economic Geology (includes metals, industrial minerals, petroleum, mining)
- Engineering Geology
All documents are indexed using the GeoRef controlled vocabulary. The vocabulary is available in printed form in the GeoRef Thesaurus and the systematic vocabulary terms are available online as hierarchical lists.
Publications in CanGeoRef cover Canadian geology back to early 1800's. CFES began supplying references for CanGeoRef in 2010 and will continue to expand the database to include as many current Canadian publications as possible.